If you’re searching the interwebs, you might find out more about what the HOT Urban Gardening Coalition is doing for MLK. To direct your attention more pointedly, here are some key media players in promoting MLK Day. Below is a copy of the latestMLK press release, if you know of other friends who’d print and publish our happenings.
- KWTX interview Monday morning (1/18) at 5:45am. If you have a TV and watch it, tune in for updates about MLK Day.
- Black Radio Network asked to post information about the goings-on in Waco on MLK Day.
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, January 8, 2009
|CONTACT: Bethel Erickson
|Volunteer with the Urban Gardening Coalition this MLK Day!|
Waco, TX – To promote Dr. King’s vision of building broad and diverse community coalitions, the Heart of Texas Urban Gardening Coalition (HOT UGC) will coordinate gardening projects throughout the city of Waco as part of the MLK Day of Service, on January 18, 2010. Located at ten different garden sites across the city, HOT UGC’s MLK Day of Service includes opportunities to paint, picnic, and plant. All activities will take place from 10:00am – 2:00pm.
Activities begin at 10:00am with an educational fair and art activity. Garden murals reflecting upon Dr. King’s service to community will be painted and displayed in each garden. At the World Hunger Relief Farm, participants will paint a mural on the Waste-Not Wagon, a converted school bus demonstrating rainwater catchment and space-intensive gardening. At 11:30am, a healthy lunch prepared and served by Baylor University Campus Kitchens and Community Health Corps will be provided at each gardening site. After lunch, work in the garden will begin. Gardening activities will include preparing and planting vegetable beds, cleaning up and beautifying surrounding areas, and other projects specific to the gardening site. The HOT UGC hopes people from across Waco will join together in serving the Waco community.
- Brazos Middle School – 2415 Cumberland Avenue
- Carver Park Baptist Church – 1020 E. Herring Avenue
- Hillcrest Professional Development School – 4225 Pine Avenue
- Lakeshore Baptist – 5801 Bishop Drive
- Provident Heights – 2415 Bosque Boulevard
- Rapoport Academy – 2000 JJ Flewellyn Road
- Speegleville Elementary – 101 Maywood Dr.
- West Avenue Elementary – 1101 N. 15th Avenue
- Woodway Elementary – 325 Estates Drive (Tuesday Event)
- World Hunger Relief, Inc. – 356 Spring Lake Road
To volunteer for the event, please email James Nuanez (email@example.com). Or contact Bethel Erickson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. To find out more about the work of the Urban Gardening Coalition and its projects, visit the website.