Harvest Celebration Planning Meeting – March 4, 2010
- This year’s Harvest Celebration will take place on June 3rd (Waco ISD’s last day of school) from 2-4pm.
- Location TBD. Looking at area churches with gardens and cooking facilities (Lake Shore or Calvary Baptist Churches). Or possibly at site of one of the Summer Lunch Programs.
Participants to Invite:
- Students and Garden Reps from school and community gardens: Sul Ross, Brazos Middle, Doris Miller, West Ave., University Middle, Tennyson Middle, Rapoport Academy, Speegleville Elementary, Mountainview Elementary, AJ Moore, Campfire at St. Alban’s, Provident Heights and Woodway Elementary. Calvary Baptist, Lake Shore Baptist, UBC, Columbus Ave. Baptist and COC, and UUFW gardens.
- Garden partners and MLK Day Volunteers.
Partners to Invite for Tabling:
- Garden partners: Master Composters, Master Gardeners, Master Naturalists, UGC, garden clubs, Bonnie’s Greenhouse
- Community Allies: Community Health Corps, Baylor Campus Kitchens, Texas Hunger Initiative, McLennan County Hunger Coalition, Waco Arts Initiative, TSTC Culinary Arts Department, Chamber of Commerce, key political people.
Activities at the Celebration:
- Games: limbo, three-legged races, egg toss
- Music provided by Classy Ballou, band of a garden club student
- Educational Booths (with partners mentioned above)
- Light meal of garden goodness (soup and salad)
- Fresh food drive (as opposed to canned food drive): collect garden produce from the representative gardens and donate to Caritas and area food pantries
- Garden booths with photos and display from each of the gardens represented
Student Gardener Recognition
- One rep from each garden gives a garden report
- Students receive packet of seeds or plant as their certificate of recognition
- One student (HS senior or college) receives the UG Scholarship
- Photo slideshow of the gardens from around town
UGC will host another planning meeting for the Harvest Celebration on Thursday, April 29 at 4pm at a location TBD.