Austin Community Garden Tour
Saturday, May 1st, 10am – 4pm
-Explore as many gardens as you like using the Downloadloadable Community Garden Map and Information Guide to help you find your way
-Attend special events and demonstrations, including guided garden tours, live music performances, samplings of freshly-harvested veggies, and more
-Chat with gardeners about growing your own food in Austin, how community gardens work, and what it takes to start one!
To view a schedule of activities to take place at each garden and the map of participating gardens, please visit www.communitygardensaustin.org or www.sustainablefoodcenter.org/events.asp. For additional information, contact SFC at 236-0074, ext. 110.
Participating gardens and events
- Alamo Community Garden: Acoustic music performance, vermicomposting workshop, garden tour
- Blackshear Community Garden: Garden tours, rainwater collection demonstration, fresh food and beverages for guests to enjoy
- Clarksville Garden: Popsicles and lemonade, garden dig-in
- Deep Eddy Community Garden: Work day refreshments, guided tour with history of the garden
- Deloney Street Community Garden: Work day, garden tours
- Festival Beach Community Garden: Garden tours
- Homewood Heights Community Garden: Work day with HoHi gardeners, workshop on building a Mandala Style Garden, and growing organically, sustainably, and locally. Refreshments and and seasonal, fresh garden treats
- Reagan High School Community Garden: Games such as balloon races, May Day celebration with May Pole
- South Austin Community Garden: Garden tours
- Sunshine Community Gardens: Tours of garden and chicken coop, lemonade and cookies. Visitors are welcomed to bring their lunches to picnic at Sunshine’s tables, restrooms on site
- Windsor Park Community Garden: Garden tours and decorate our fence. A group from Architects for Humanity and a UT architecture class designed a wooden fence made of empty frames that could be completed by community members using found objects. Come by and add something to it! We’ll have materials and tools for you to use.