HOT Urban Gardening Coalition Meeting
MLK Sub-Committee Meeting
September 23, 2010
Meeting Minutes submitted by Bethel Erickson, UGC VISTA
Location: Service-Learning Office – 1st Floor of the Bill Daniel Student Center. Baylor. 6pm.
- Meeting commenced at 6:02 PM.
Discussion about schedule for 2011 event.
Review of previous events from past years.
- We want to coordinate with other city events happening the same day – march to MLK Blvd.
- Need to figure out times of city events – and then schedule time for MLK garden activities.
- Promote Garden Sites at general city gathering.
- Keep the gardening activities about 2 hours.
- Possible start time at 11am/12pm and end by 3pm.
Discussion about activities for the day (other than gardening and art)
- Work with Restaurant/Chef Association to coordinate outdoor cooking demonstrations – and Chef Jacob Mouser from the Harvest Celebration
- Host composting demos – in conjunction with Master Composters – travel to numerous sites – make obvious what from lunches can be composted
- Coordinate with Baylor Sustainability Council to help “green” the events and reduce waste (Trey contact Smith Getterman)
- Coordinate with City of Waco Recycling Department to provide bins for the day
Discussion of Campus Kitchens grant and what it covers: money for general supplies, printing, seeds and plants, art supplies
Discussion of Art Activity with Waco Arts Initiative
- Main idea: recycled materials art sculpture
- Other suggestions: painted murals (for new gardens with mural space), painted paving stones in the garden, earth/trash art (using materials scavenged from near/around the garden site)
Confirmed Garden Sites, so far:
- Lake Shore Baptist Church
- Columbus Ave. Community Garden
- Meyer High School at Rapoport Academy
- Cottage at Spring Oaks Retirement Home (in partnership with the Public Health District)
- Hewitt First United Methodist Church
Interested Garden Sites (haven’t submitted site applications):
- World Hunger Relief Farm
- Woodway Elementary
- Calvary Baptist Church
- University Baptist Church
- Baylor Campus Garden
- WHRI Garden Club Schools (Sul Ross, West Ave, Brazos and Tennyson Middle)
Youth Service America Grant
- Grant due 10/22. If awarded, will grant MLK Day gardens $500 for use towards supplies and materials to improve and expand gardens
- Bethel needs help reviewing and editing the grant – if you want money for your grant, it is in your interest to help edit the grant (and fill out your site application)
Meeting adjourned at 6:58 pm.