This is a happy Monday morning greeting and wee little reminder that our meeting is this Thursday, October 28th – 6pm at the Mayborn Museum. Please RSVP so I get an idea of who’ll be able to come. I’m still in the Midwest but will be back in the next day or so (and my internet connection is lacking – usually). Let me know if there’s anything you’d like included.
Here’s the rough agenda for our October Monthly Meeting:
- Garden Reports (and learn about new gardens sprouting up around town!)
- Financial Report and 501c3 Progress (Bethel and Vernon).
- Upcoming Events and other Announcements.
- Farmers Market Policy Progress (Felix Landry)
- MLK Day Garden Sites and General Report
- People’s Garden School Pilot Project Update
- Report from the Midwest: Northeast Iowa Food and Fitness Initiative
- Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities: Better Block Party and Fall Farm Day
- 10/28 (Th): UGC Monthly Meeting. 6pm. Mayborn Museum. 1300 University Parks Dr.
- 10/30 (Sa): Better Block Project. 10:00am-5:00pm (and later!) In the streets of Colcord and N. 15th. The Better Block Project is similar to one in Dallas Oak Cliff. The streets will be filled with vendors, activities, newly painted buildings, etc. to promote economic development and a revitalized neighborhood. The Urban Gardening Coalition and World Hunger Relief Farm will be hosting farm stands – if interested in selling produce from your garden, please contact Katherine Moncrief at WHRI (urbangardening@worldhungerrelief org or 799-5611) – or tell Bethel.
- 10/30 (Sa): Baylor’s Steppin Out Community Service Day. Groundbreaking for Baylor University Campus Garden (9th & James) – PENDING.
- 11/6 (Sa): Fall Farm Day at World Hunger Relief Farm. 9am-4pm.
- 11/6 (Sa): Crop Mob at Calvary Baptist Community Garden – 19th & Homan St. Starting at 9:00am. Call Ray Small if you want to help! Cell (847) 687-0148.
- 11/14-20 (Su-Sa): National Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week in Waco – sponsored by the McLennan County Hunger Coalition and the Heart of Texas Homeless Coalition.