As requested by the masses, I am posting links to recipes used and distributed at our June Foxfire Friday on June 17, 2011. Please feel free to contribute your own ideas!
- Hazlo! Make Stuff! (Green Clean Recipes for Foxfire). A compilation of recipes put together by Fernando Arroyo.
- Soap Stuff: Liquid handsoap, dish soap, and dry laundry detergent. Gathered by Bethel Erickson.
- Mike and Chelle’s Laundry Detergent
- Borax and Washing Soda can be found at Walmart in the laundry aisle.
- Shake. Shake. Shake your detergent every chance you get. This will help it to not separate.
- Do not ingest the Borax. This is written on everything I read about Borax, so I figured I’d add it here, too.
- If you prefer not to use Ivory soap, I’ve read recipes that use “your favorite vegetable-based soap”. If you use this, and you like it (or don’t) please let me know.
- This detergent will not keep you whites white. Soak them first in a mixture of water and 20% Hydrogen Peroxide; then wash as usual.
- If you like fabric softener, add a slosh of vinegar at the rinse cycle. I don’t do this, but I heard it works and it does not smell.
Enjoy! :o) www.Christfollowingmininalist.wordpress.com
And one other video recipe, made by the Urban Farming Guys – if you really want to make laundry detergent in bulk batches, here’s a 10-gallon, 20-cents/gallon recipe!