- Apply compost to all your plantings – trees, shrubbery, and throughout your garden beds. Nourish that soil!
- Plant those potatoes! If you’re growing in established beds – plant at least 4 inches deep – and anticipate future mounding. Otherwise get creative and grow in old tires like St. Luke’s Community Garden is doing (see photo above).
- Start sowing leaf lettuce, collards and other lovable greens outdoors – repeat seeding every few weeks for continual harvest through the spring season.
- Prune those rose bushes – or plant some now if you’ve previously lived rose-less lives.
- Prune fruit trees.
- Plant flowers – specifically alyssum, hollyhocks, lobelia, larkspurs, and Canterbury bells.