Just some friendly garden advice from Rodale’s Organic Gardening Magazine!
- Plant more lettuce, Chinese cabbage, spinach, carrots, beets, peas, radishes, onions, turnips, garlic, shallots, and cress.
- Set out strawberry plants.
- Sow a cover crop of winter rye (Secale cereale), purple vetch (Vicia benghalensis), Austrian winter peas (Pisum arvense), or ‘Elbon’ rye (Secale cereale ‘Elbon’) in vacant beds.
- Use rye clippings to add nitrogen to compost, speeding the breakdown of fall leaves.
- In flowerbeds, plant anemones, oxalis, and ranunculus for spring bloom.
- Also, seed annual candytuft (Iberis umbellata) in bare spots of flowerbeds for spring bloom.
- Broadcast wildflower seeds to establish a meadow.
- Plant trees and shrubs: Warm fall temps will help them get established before winter.