WHAT TO PLANT
Seed in Ground: Continue to seed: cantaloupes, corn, cover crops, cucumbers, okra, peanuts, southern peas, summer squash, sweet potatoes, and bush beans – and mustard & turnips (for their tender baby leaves)
WHAT TO DO
- Pray for rain.
- Plant cover crops in vacant beds.
- Plant mums, balsam, cockscomb, wax begonias, salvia, dusty miller, blanket flower (Gaillardia spp.), geraniums, marigolds, verbena, and vinca (Catharanthus roseus).
- Plant bulbs or tubers of irises, cannas, water lilies, dahlias, and daylilies.
- Replenish mulches around plants to keep weeds down and conserve moisture.
- Plant mustard and turnips for harvesting tender, baby leaves.
- Work compost into beds, then plant fall crops of peppers and eggplant.
- Direct-seed collards and tomatoes for fall harvest.
- Check your drip irrigation system—you’ll be depending on it soon.
- Thin fruit trees early in the month; mulch root area with a thin layer of compost, topped with 3 inches of organic mulch.