Books and a report
- · Rebecca Thistlethwaite’s Farms with a Future: Creating and Growing a Sustainable Farm Business (Chelsea Green, 2012).
- · Elizabeth Henderson’s Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen’s Guide to Community Supported Agriculture (Chelsea Green, 2007).
- · Richard Wiswall’s The Organic Farmer’s Business Handbook: A Complete Guide to Managing Finances, Crops, and Staff-and Making a Profit (Chelsea Green, 2009).
- · Tanya Denckla Cobb’s Reclaiming Our Food: How the Grassroots Food Movement is Changing the Way We Eat (Storey Publishing, 2011).
- · Joel Salatin’s You Can Farm: the Entrepreneur’s Guide to Start and Succeed in a Farming Enterprise (Polyface, Inc., 1998).
- · Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses. (Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture and The Sustainable Agriculture Network, 2003). Available free in PDF here: http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Books/Building-a-Sustainable-Business.
Web-based resources (many, many more reports to be found here)
- · New World Foundation’s Local Economies Project: http://newwf.org/fiscally-sponsored-projects/local-economies-project.
- · Agricultural Justice Project, www.agriculturaljusticeproject.org – has a tool-kit for farmers that includes many resources – a template for farm labor policies, information on internships, contracts, resources on calculating costs of production.
- · Farm-based Education Network resource page: http://www.farmbasededucation.org/page/books-1
- · Community Food Security Coalition publications page: http://www.foodsecurity.org/pubs.html
- · UCSC’s Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems instructional resource page: http://casfs.ucsc.edu/education/instructional-resources (among the resources available on this page is their publication Teaching Direct Marketing and Small Farm Viability: Resources for Instructors)
- · SARE’s courses and curricula page: http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Courses-and-Curricula
- · Cornell University’s Small Farms Program (especially rich in models): http://smallfarms.cornell.edu/
- · Cornell University’s Beginning Farmer’s Project: www.nebeginningfarmers.org
- · Johns Hopkins University’s Center for a Livable Future “Teaching the Food System” website (contains curricula and other resources):
- · Soil Born Farms Urban Agriculture and Education Project: http://www.soilborn.org/
- · Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture publications page: http://www.misa.umn.edu/Publications/index.htm
- · University of Minnesota Extension resource page: http://www1.extension.umn.edu/food/small-farms/farm-business/
- · AgDevONLINE (access to some resources requires membership): http://www.agdevonline.com/
- · Beginning Farmer and Rancher resource page: http://beginingfarmerrancher.wordpress.com/
- · National Incubator Farm Training Initiative (NIFTI) wiki: https://nifti.wikispaces.com (wide variety of resources on program administration and management, as well a curriculum for beginning farmers and urban gardeners)