What to Plant:
- Seed in Ground: arugula, beets, bok choi, cabbage, carrots, chard (early), collards, cress, garlic, kale, leaf lettuce, onions, parsley, peas, radish, shallots, spinach, turnip
- Transplant: bok choi, broccoli (early), brussel sprouts (early), kale, leeks, head lettuce, strawberries (early)
What to Do:
- Set out strawberry plants.
- Sow a cover crop of winter rye (Secale cereale), purple vetch (Vicia benghalensis), Austrian winter peas (Pisum arvense), or ‘Elbon’ rye (Secale cereale ‘Elbon’) in vacant beds.
- Use rye clippings to add nitrogen to compost, speeding the breakdown of fall leaves.
- In flowerbeds, plant anemones, oxalis, and ranunculus for spring bloom.
- Also, seed annual candytuft (Iberis umbellata) in bare spots of flowerbeds for spring bloom.
- Broadcast wildflower seeds to establish a meadow.
- Plant trees and shrubs: Warm fall temps will help them get established before winter.