Here’s a wee little task list of what to plant and do around the garden during the month of December:
WHAT TO PLANT
- Seed in Ground: carrots, cauliflower, onions, chives, spinach, mustard, peas, beets, radishes, lettuce (somewhat protected)
- Seed Indoors: bok choi, broccoli, cabbage, kale, leeks, head lettuce, bunching onions
WHAT TO DO
- Plant flowers! Petunias, calendulas, annual candytuft (Iberis umbellata), pansies, sweet alyssum (Lobularia maritima), cornflowers (Centaurea cyanus), stocks (Matthiola incana), scabiosa (Scabiosa atropurpurea), verbena, pinks (Dianthus spp.), and daisies.
- Plant bulbs, corms, and rhizomes of iris (Iris danfordiae, I. histrioides, I. reticulata), amaryllis, anemone (Anemone coronaria, A. sylvestris), calla, and liriope.
- Clean up garden debris to eliminate overwintering areas for diseases and insect pests.
- Start to build beds for spring by adding lots of compost.
- Plant bareroot trees, shrubs, roses, and vines.